Pages

Monday, January 19, 2009

Grocery Store

The kids and I are suppose to be enjoying my (and sister's) initial holiday. I was Marsha Lee Kent in my former life and sister was Michelle Lynn Kent. I actually birthed daughter on the MLK holiday. Mother told my OB that was a good day to induce because she would be off of work. So to fit into her schedule, daughter came on the holiday. You would think I would plan events for this day in remembrence of that special day but instead I had to go to the store. No food in the house. I dread the grocery store with 2 kids. I hardly ever take them. I go when a. I don't have them or b. when they can stay with their other family members. But today, I had no choice. It always goes something like this:
In the car I begin the talk on how we will behave in the store and how I will not be purchasing other items not on my list. Then we discuss buggy options and I explain we will take what they have available and we will not wait for car buggies. This morning no car buggies and I am releived. Son no longer really fits so his legs are always on daughters side which leads to hitting. I take them to get their free cookie and off we go. They immediately start whining and son has refused to walk and is now in the big part of the buggy. Daughter wants to hold any items that she likes. She declares she even needs to hold the sliced turkey because sometimes she likes sandwhiches. I let them hold the list and check off what I buy. This too causes problems because only one can read but both can scratch off. Their is a constant demand for items not on the list and me saying no. One little old lady passed me and said bless you. Never a good sign. Daughter can go from 0 to 100 decimals in 2 seconds. I promise she can scream like you are killing her when it could be son told her she stinks. I finally finish my list and go to check out thinking it is almost over. But the check out is really when the war begins. Candy, candy, gum, gum, something please....no no no!And the guy bagging the groceries keeps saying AWE mommy! I would pay extra if someone would open a line with no candy or toys or junk at eye level. It exhaust me. I even think it exhaust the kids. I think if you take your kids to the store and complete the mission, you should get a free tshirt that says, "I took all my kids to the grocery store and I SURVIVED!"

7 comments:

KBF said...

I HATE the car buggies!

Bre said...

HILARIOUS and so true!

Tricia said...

I need one of those t-shirts! I think when we have kids that dads should sign a contract saying we will never have to take them to the grocery store!

Karen said...

Amen sister! I HATE the candy at the check-out. I gave in & bought Madison a pack of starbursts today & lost the whole pack before we even made it home. Ugh!!!

Jenny said...

Did I tell you about Kaylie and Brenna's brawl last week? I was dumb enough to give in to a car buggy where they were sitting next to each other. By the fourth aisle we were stopped in the middle, Kaylie was throwing elbows at the baby and Brenna had two handfuls of Kaylie's hair and both were screaming. I just had to laugh... to keep from crying!

Erica said...

Publix isn't helping matters. In addition to the candy, they have Dora, Diego, and all the Mickey Mouse characters on the end caps at checkout. I was so mad the first time we had a meltdown over those characters! I can't imagine going with 2 kids. I hope you had a stiff drink when you got home.

Mommy of Three said...

I'm with you girlie! But what gets me is that hubby thinks it is no big deal to just run in and get a few things - with all 3 kids! He says he'd have no problem with it (but he's never tried either!)