Pages

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Just sad


My poor kids. This has not been easy. I took the kids to say their goodbyes to Sandy this morning. She was on a lot of medication and actually looked better then yesterday. But the symptoms of the stroke were still present. Not complete control of her back legs and eyes go nervously back and forth due to some brain damage. Son went to a friends house to play after seeing her. Daughter and I went back to see her again and she died around 1 o'clock.
I have had a dog my whole life. I have grieved everyone of them. This time they know and understand the finality of death. It is something you want to protect your children from but in the end it is life. I would much rather them taste the sting of death with their pet then with a loved one. Daughter told her friend, "God has a big blanket and He will cover Sandy and Macee up with!"
I got Sandy when I was a freshman at Auburn. She was the first dog that I had full responsibility for and we had almost 14 years together. I have had her longer then I have had Husband. She was the dog that all the vets and all the groomers loved. She is the only dog I have had that never played with a toy. She was not a toy dog. We always said if Sandy died first Macee would have been heartbroken. We did not know Sandy would be the heartbroken one. She has grieved for her friend. I believe a piece of Sandy died when Macee did...
Mother was very close to Sandy. Sandy lived with her during some of my time at Auburn. They had a very special bond. Mother is just as devastated as we are...
Any kid that ever came to my house loved Sandy. She was a please pet me dog. Always pawing at you to pet her.
Today Sandy will be buried next to her lost friend Macee. I think a little piece of me will be buried tonight. I am thankful for these two dogs and for teaching me how to love unconditional.

3 comments:

Amy Leigh said...

Oh Bday twin, I am so sorry that sweet Sandy is gone. I hope she is cuddled up next to Macee right now after they got in from a big run in some very green grass. Love you!

Karen said...

So sorry that you are going through this again. I know they are both snuggling under their big blanket in doggie heaven. Love you!

Tricia said...

Oh Marsha... I am so sorry for your loss... wish I could run next door and hug you!