Pages

Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Truth

I went with my friend the other night to plan out the VBS for Belize. Simple logistics. We will essentially divide the kids into groups of 100. Different groups will come on different days. Each group will get to do two days of VBS. The older group of kids will do worship and spend one morning with us talking about service and essentially train them to help some with the younger groups. We were making plans. I love a plan. I love a spreadsheet. I like organization. But I also know that we when arrive we might scratch these plans. Working in kids ministry on Sunday morning is the same way. Always having a plan and then being smart enough to change when you need to. My friend has a law about being FLEXIBLE. Even with Wednesday night suppers we have to be flexible. Change the plan. Move food. Plan for more. (FYI - you don't want to miss this coming up Wednesday night - Chicken Fingers, Green beans, Mashed Potatoes and Banana Pudding! RSVP right here!)


My prayer has been that God would prepare my heart for this trip. The other night as we sat to look at what 2 days of VBS should we do, my heart was broken. Each day of VBS in the Group Curriculum (what we use at our home church)uses a bible truth and then builds on that truth all day. Having worked in VBS before, I never looked at those truths with the eyes of who is hearing this message. Yet that night in a coffee house, I looked at those truths and thought which one do they need to hear? The child that has one piece of paper for a day's work at school. The child who hunts for food before walking to school. The child who eats one meal a day at the school. The child that refuses to eat the meal provided by the school because their family at home is not eating. The child who has no walls on his home.


What truth would you tell that child?


You would not read them them any book on the NY Times Best Seller list.


You would not give them a 12 step program to be a better whatever.


The only hope and the only thing you can share and have to share is Jesus.


Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6




No comments: