Pages

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Fired

Have you ever been fired?

I have been fired.

I was 16.

It was my first job.

My daddy got me the job because he worked on the library committee with the city library.

It was suppose to be job I could work at after school and during Christmas holidays.

If you know me at all you know I am kinda loud.

I like to talk to people.

I will talk to people I don't know.

I need communication.

Even at 16 I knew it would be a stretch to work in a library.

I mean I love to read books.

I enjoyed reading.

I just thought I would learn to whisper.

Most of my friends were worried I didn't know a lot about some guy named Dewey.

I started work anyway.

I learned real fast that Dewey was into numbers.

I am not into numbers.

The librarians were serious.

All the time.

I mean like joking not really kosher in the library.

Putting a Romance book in Non-Fiction which I called Not False was Not Funny.

My official title was PAGE.

Not like turn the page but PAGE as in file the books.

That was my job.

That was my only job.

I told my friends to visit me.

I was bored out of my mind.
The librarians called me into their office week one and said, "you are really sweet but you must not talk to the patrons."

I seriously thought they were talking about old people.

I made an effort to only talk to non-white headed people.

This continued for another 3 weeks.

I was called into the office for round 2 of counseling, "you may not tell people where books are, you may only instruct them to the Librarian. You may not talk to the patrons."

I just couldn't help myself.

I could not be silent.

Week 3.

I was called back into the office and told it just wasn't a good fit.

I was so happy.

I mean I like old people.

And come to find out, I like patrons too.

No comments: