Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Internet Safety By A Momma

Very rare do I let my work world show up on this blog. I work in the computer lab at my children's elementary school. I blog regularly at work about work. On this blog, I talk about things like my family, my faith, my sad stories and my happy stories. I have been asked several times in my private world about Internet safety and young children. I am not an expert. I only play one at work. My major in college was Social Work. My life major is Parenting. These are tips I have learned through my job and through parenting. (That is my disclaimer!)

My own kids are getting on the Internet not just on the computer. They can access the Internet through handheld devices like Nintendo dsi, Ipods and smartphones. Many children play games online like Xbox Live or Playstation 3 online. As a parent I have learned the hard way that giving a child free access to the Internet is not always safe but can be dangerous.

Here are some tips your kids need to know BEFORE logging on:

1. Don’t give out personal information.

2. Never agree to meet anyone you meet online.

3. Remember that people might not be who they say they are.

4. If you ever read and receive anything online that makes you feel uncomfortable, find a trusted adult to talk to.
Keeping the computer in a central location in the house and open communication about what is allowed on the computer, are the best ways to foster kids into having a positive online experience. Check out the settings on Ipods and DSi's. You can set security guidelines.

Online gaming devices like XBOXlive and Playstation 3 online allow your child to play games and chat with people online. The top 5 ways parents and guardians can make sure to keep their child safe in the world of online gaming.
1. Unplug the headset—listen to what your kids are listening to
2. Adjust settings — some of these games have a filter to block inappropriate language and violence
3. Approve “friends” ‐ select who your child can play with
4. Don’t give into games just because “everyone else” is doing it
5. Know what the ratings mean

Proverbs 22:6

Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.

I think communication is more important than any of these things on this list and prayer. Prayer that we as parents know what to allow and what to say no to.

My son is constantly telling me who has what game that I won't allow. I am always quick to remind him how much I love him and how God has trusted me with him.

I promise no more serious work like topics!

No comments: